- James is a qualified teacher who has worked for the University of Kent, specialising in drums, music history and rehearsal skills.
- He co-wrote a music degree with Julie Parker, the ‘BA Hons in Popular Music Performance’.
- The degree was an enormous success, with a very high percentage of First Class Honours students.
- Most of the graduates have gone on to work in the music industry and music education.
- He has also run Further Education courses in Popular Music since 1999.
- James has been teaching drums and percussion in London and Kent since 1991 and has trained many of the drum teachers currently working in the Southeast.
- He is regarded as one of the leading drum teachers in the area and is happy to teach from beginners up to professional drummers who want to expand their vocabulary or work on technique.
- In 2015 he wrote the syllabus and led the teaching team for the Trinity Education Zone at the London Drum Show.
- James has worked as a lead consultant for the new Trinity Rock & Pop graded exam syllabus that was published in September 2017.